Special Waste Disposal

Not everything is appropriate for landfills. Some items need special disposal procedures. These include, but aren’t limited to:

  • Fluorescent Light Bulbs – Please await more information.
  • Batteries – Recycle auto and industrial batteries at Advance Auto, Auto Zone, and Elkins Metal Recycling.
  • Antifreeze – Please await more information.
  • Oil – Recycle used motor oil at Advance Auto or Auto Zone.
  • Tires – RCSWA holds an annual tire collection for Randolph County in cooperation with DEP. These events are well advertised. For those outside city limits, properly dispose of tires between collection events by finding the tire monofill nearest you. If you are within Elkins city limits, schedule a special pick-up at a cost of $5.00 per tire.
  • Asbestos – Please await more information.
  • Medical Waste – See Disposing of Syringes, Lancets, and other Medical Sharps.
  • Paint – Allow to dry, then dispose of with normal trash.

Hazardous Waste

The West Virginia DEP oversees Hazardous Waste. If you have a hazardous waste emergency, call 1-800-642-3074 or visit www.dep.wv.gov for more information.