The Randolph County Recycling Center will be temporarily closed.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Randolph County Solid Waste Authority

Below, Randolph County Solid Waste Authority (RCSWA) answers frequently asked questions related to our agency, waste management and recycling services, and services offered by our partners in Randolph County, WV. If you have additional questions or would like to speak with a RCSWA representative, please contact the service provider directly or contact us for assistance.

Options For Waste Disposal & Recycling In Randolph County, WV

In Randolph County, residents enjoy many options for recycling, disposal of household waste, specialty and hazardous wastes. Randolph Countians are free to choose from a variety options including:

  • Full-service Curbside Pickup
  • Full-service Bulk Garbage Pickup
  • Landfill and Landfill Services
  • Self-service Waste Transfer Stations
  • Self-service Recycling Centers
  • Composting at the Premises

I Discovered An Illlegal Trash Dumpsite. What Should I Do?

Report illegal dumpsites directly to the Randolph County Sheriff Department through their online Open Dump Report Complaint Form.

Where can I learn more about proper waste management policies?

To locate information about waste management resources and services available in your area, we encourage you to browse our website. Here, you can find information including trash removal, recycling, specialty disposal, recycling activities for kids, details on upcoming RCSWA events, and resources. If you would like to learn more, please reach out to us.

What Waste Management Resources Are Available To Me?

You can contact us with any questions or concerns about how to dispose of waste, participate in recycling programs, and related matters in Randolph County, WV. You may also wish to reach out to the following agencies for concerns of a statewide or nationwide/federal nature:

West Virginia State Solid Waste Management Board
Information about the rules and regulations governing the disposal of solid waste and hazardous materials in West Virginia, facilities, publications, forms, relevant news and events

United States Environmental Protection Agency
Information about hazards, disposal, recycling, recovery, reduction, clean up, and regulation of household, industrial, and manufacturing solid and hazardous wastes under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)

I have a question or concern about the policies of my waste collection service. Can you help?

The garbage collection and recycling policies of a waste collection service, such as the number of bags allowed per week, bulk item pickup, scheduling, availability, and other aspects are set by the service provider. These policies may vary based on any requirements set by local city, township, borough, county, or municipal ordinances (local laws). If you have a question or concern, first reach out to your waste handler and attempt to resolve the issue. If you feel an existing ordinance governing your waste collection service is unjust, or a new ordinance is needed, contact your mayor, city council, or local lawmaker to discuss your concerns.

What are the WV laws regarding waste management?

RCSWA is unable to answer specific legal questions or provide legal guidance, but we can share a summary of West Virginia Code describing some of the requirements and prohibitions under West Virginia law. Federal law, municipal code and regulations may also apply. If you believe your concern may be related to a violation of law, you may wish to discuss the matter with the proper authorities or your legal representative.


Methods Of Solid Waste Disposal

WV state law requires all households to do one of the following with their solid waste:

1. Subscribe to and use an approved solid waste collection service

2. Have proof that your waste was disposed of at an approved solid waste facility.


Methods Of Solid Waste Disposal

Waste must not be dumped on hillsides, streams, buried or burned. Penalties for noncompliance can be severe. According to WV Code Rule 33 CSR 7, Proof of Proper Solid Waste Disposal, the following methods of waste disposal are illegal:

• It’s illegal to burn solid waste – W.Va. §22-5-3;

• It’s illegal to bury solid waste – W.Va. §22-15-10;

• It’s Illegal to dump solid waste into a roadside dump – W.Va. §22-15-10;

• It’s Illegal to create an open dump on your property – W.Va. §22-15-10.